Okra and tomatoes are a true, southern classic. It’s a timeless dish that is so full of flavor that it’s almost impossible not to love! Here’s Chef's simple recipe for Okra and Tomatoes.
Let’s start like we always do, by gathering our ingredients!
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 strips of thick-cut butcher bacon
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ pound of fresh okra, sliced
- 1-2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 teaspoons of ham bouillon*
*There is NO salt needed for this recipe because we are using bacon and ham bouillon. Really quick lets talk about flavors, bases, and bouillons. Very seldom do we boil bones to make broth. Fortunately today there are many quality bases and bouillons. The best quality are wet bouillons not dry bouillon cubes. However, dry bouillon cubes do have their uses when more salt is needed. Chef’s favorite is shown below. It comes in a ton of flavors, even mushroom and vegetable.
With all that being said, let’s get into it!
1. First, slice your bacon crossways into strips. Now on medium high heat in a heavy bottom skillet brown your bacon pieces in 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil.
2. When bacon fat is rendered add small diced onions. Next, add your sliced okra. Saute onion and okra in bacon fat until okra starts to soften.
3. Add one heaping teaspoon of minced garlic. Continue to saute until garlic begins to brown. Add diced tomatoes. Continue to stir and saute for a few more minutes.
4. Dissolve 2 teaspoons of ham bouillon in 1 ½ cups of hot water (microwave). Stir water into okra and tomato mixture. Turn heat to low. Let simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Serve with rice.
PDF Printable: Okra and Tomatoes