This recipe is with spicy New Orleans-Style BBQ Shrimp using lemons from your Farmers Market Box. This is an instant classic that can be used in a dinner party setting to wow guests or for a family meal that will let your family experience a classic southern dish. Disclaimer: This recipe can get a touch spicy, however, it can be adjusted to fit your desired level of spice!
It may seem like the shrimp and hot sauce would be the stars of this show but this recipe is a great way to use the lemons from your Farmers Market Box in a different way. The lemons add the perfect tang and zest that really ties the whole recipe together!
So, let’s get started!
For starters you’ll need:
- 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 ½ cups of hot sauce (I use Hooters Hot Sauce but you can use any hot sauce you’d like based on your preference of spice)
- ⅓ cup of fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 pound of 21/25 count shrimp (DO NOT PEEL)
- 3 sliced lemons (discard ends)
- Brown 1 heaping tablespoon of minced garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Then, add liquid ingredients: 1 ½ cups of hot sauce, ⅓ cup of fresh lemon juice, ¼ cup of Worcestershire sauce. Stir until well-combined.
- Next, stir in the spices (2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper & 1 teaspoon of garlic powder) thoroughly and bring mixture to a simmer.
- Add in 1 pound of 21/25 count shrimp. Important: Keep the shell on the shrimp as the shell holds the hot sauce and flavors in.
- Stir shrimp into simmering liquid until cooked through.
- Turn off heat and let sit for at least 20 minutes. The longer you wait the more flavorful the shrimp will be. Garnish with sliced green onion.
- Serve with one loaf of sliced French bread, buttered and warmed in the oven.
This recipe serves 3-4 people. Please note that eating this can get a bit messy so be sure to bring lots of napkins to the table! Also, as a chef’s tip, dip your slice of French bread into the liquid as you eat. The bread soaks up all of the flavor and tastes divine!
PDF Printable Version: New Orleans-Style BBQ Shrimp